If you are going on vacation or away for a few days:  

a)    Stop your mail delivery and newspaper, or have a neighbor pick it up daily, along with anything that may be left at your house (UPS type items, phone books etc.).

b)    For extended vacations (2 weeks & longer) request a Sheriff’s Citizen Patrol house check.  Also have a neighbor or friend check the house daily or as often as possible.  Consider having a friend or relative being a house setter.